SUMMARY: This position is responsible for assessing, planning, organizing, administering, documenting, and supervising client care in accordance with principles and practices of home care nursing. This position administers treatment to clients and oversees the work of the aides and companions, as designated.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Performs the initial assessment and ongoing reassessments to evaluate the client, determines the appropriate schedule of services for the client and communicates it to the Scheduler.
2. Communicates with the physician as needed to update on client status, clarify and receive verbal orders.
3. Develops and implements an individualized care plan for each client, based on the assessment, and in conjunction with the client, family, and physician and/or authorized practitioner.
4. Delivers skilled nursing care as outlined in the plan of care, as prescribed (when required) by the physician and/or other authorized practitioner, and according to acceptable nursing standards.
- Observes signs and symptoms and changes in the client’s physical or emotional condition and consults with the physician or authorized practitioner concerning alteration of the plan of treatment in consultation with the supervisor, as necessary. Evaluates the effectiveness of his/her nursing service to the individual and family.
6. Teaches, supervises and counsels the client and caregivers regarding the nursing care need and other related problems of the client at home.
7. Records client’s condition, interventions and evaluation in the medical record as documentation of home visits, according to agency policy.
- Submits a record of visits/hours worked each day.
- Participates in case management conferences and other client-related meetings such as transition meetings with other team members.
- Develops aide care plan, orients aides to the care plan, and supervises aides according to Agency policy, including instruction, demonstrations, and return demonstrations as necessary. Supervises the aide in the special needs of the client and documents supervision according to agency policies and procedures.
- Maintains client rights and confidentiality.
- Practices safety, infection control and standard precautions.
- Complies with Advance Directives, as indicated.
14. Complies with Agency policies, and licensing and certification regulations.
15. Attends Agency staff meetings, staff in-services, QA meetings, and utilization review sessions as scheduled.
16. Adheres to and promotes the mission and philosophy of The Erickson Way.
OTHER JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- May be asked to orient and train other home support nurses.
- May be asked to participate in Home Support Aide staff development activities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Ability to effectively work with a diverse employee work group.
· Ability to organize and manage time effectively.
- Must be able to perform physical and psychosocial assessment of client and family.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Demonstrates caring attitude and good customer service skills.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
- Recent home care experience preferred.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Current licensure with the applicable state board of nursing as a Registered Nurse.
- Current CPR certification.
- Clinically supervises aides and companions/homemaker.
- May supervise LPN’s.
Must speak, read and write the English language.