Cedar Crest is a 130-acre senior living campus located in Pompton Plains, NJ. Our team members enjoy the opportunity to work in a vibrant community situated in the rolling hills and scenic valleys of historic Morris County.
For professionals dedicated to helping seniors live life to the fullest, Cedar Crest provides a rewarding alternative to the typical retirement community career. Our team members help each resident achieve the most active and independent lifestyle possible. In fact, almost everything our residents need can be found on campus or nearby. There is an abundance of amenities available, as well as hundreds of clubs and activities, excellent on-site restaurants, a state-of-the-art medical center, an all-season pool, and a fitness center. For this reason, Cedar Crest continually offers career opportunities in three major categories: Healthcare, Dining and Community Support.
The Unit Secretary performs secretarial, receptionist, and clerical duties to support the nursing unit and/or assisted care or assisted living facility. May also provide basic secretarial support to the Clinical Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Department Structure / Support
- Contributes to building a positive team spirit
- Does not require reminders to perform tasks and complete assignment
- Follows all Nursing Department Policies & Procedures
- Willingly attends inservices to increase job knowledge and skills
- Attends all staff meetings on the unit when scheduled to work
Unit / Office
- Maintains charts in proper sequence and thins according to policy.
- Accurately transcribes orders per policy, if applicable.
- Obtains all pertinent information and appropriate paperwork for new admissions and prepares new medical chart.
- Schedules resident appointments in a timely manner.
- Completes and distributes appropriate reports
- Files all records in appropriate alphabetical format
- Maintains nurses station, including forms, files, drawers and cabinets in an orderly fashion
- Maintains accurate records of residents’ appointments and work orders
- Demonstrates efficient ordering of unit supplies
- Uses all equipment safely and correctly; reports malfunctioning equipment promptly
- Changes resident charge sheets in MAR’s weekly, gives old sheets to charge nurse for review and then forwards completed charge sheets to Business Office Manager
- Responsible for checking and straightening medical supply closet daily
- Transports residents to on-campus appointments, as needed
- Maintain process to ensure outside physicians are compliant with monthly signatures to orders
- Ensures residents are seen by medical provider in accordance with State regulations
- Competently completes assignments in a timely manner
- Is flexible and willingly works other units as dictated by resident need
- Competent in required job skills and knowledge, as evidenced by annual skills checklist
- Works closely with other Unit Secretaries to ensure seamless transfer of residents thought Renaissance Gardens.
- Maintains resident confidentiality
- Answers questions from family members or refers them to the nurse
- Selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Notifies nurse before and after leaving the unit
- Schedules time off in advance
Leadership / Initiative
- Demonstrates a time-conscious awareness, keeping non-essential interruptions to an absolute minimum in order to complete resident care priorities
- Manages competing demands
- Demonstrates willingness and ability to learn new policies and procedures
- Acts as a role model for new employees
- Shares ideas to solve problems on the unit and looks for ways to improve unit
- Changes approach or method to best fit the situation
- Flexible in meeting unit scheduling needs
- Assumes responsibility for accurately recording own schedule
- Assumes responsibility for professional certification(s)
Erickson Standards / Values
- Displays courtesy and respect
- Answers phone promptly, courteously, and takes accurate phone messages
- Respond to all resident requests (verbally or call-light) for assistance
- Smiles and consistently exudes a pleasant persona
- Appropriately interacts with other departments within the community
- Willingness t
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High-school diploma/GED; some college preferred.
Demonstrated proficiency with current computer software applications required
Health Care background / Medical Terminology preferred